The under mount kitchen is unique and different from all other types of classic kitchens. It is now fast moving in the market and can be found on every modern trendy home. The sink is popular for its type of set up and its function.
What makes the best under mount kitchen sinks better?
- The usual drop in sink is placed from the top of the kitchen table while under mount sinks are placed from the bottom. This moves the lid holding the sink to the table to the bottom avoiding dirt settlement.
- The drop in sink has a lid rim resting on the counter top. While the under mount sinks do not possess the rim! This makes installing very easy
- However, the only drawback is that since there is no rim, one has to step up the cleaning accessories like the soap dispenser, brush to clean the sink, etc somewhere else in the wall or windows, etc. Still it makes the sink better because, it solves the major problem of foul smell or difficulty in cleaning and the frequency in cleaning.
- There are two types of under mount sink based on their installation, namely the sinks that have negative reveal and those that have positive reveal
- If the sink hole is cut smaller than required, it is negative reveal. It does not require much cleaning
- If the sink opening is cut larger, there is adequate space which is called the positive reveal. This type of sinks require frequent cleaning.
Features of the best under mount sinks
In order to select the best undermount kitchen sinks, one has to learn the features of the sink. They are as follows
There are single, double and triple under mount sinks. Decide the sink based on the space in the kitchen.
There is variety of materials available in the market. They have their own pros and cons. Here the review is detailed about the materials and their pros and cons
Stainless steel is one of the most popular and fast moving under mount sink material. This is mainly because it is light in weight and therefore easy to install. Also it is stain resistant. Above all the material fits in to any type of home decor perfectly. The material withstands long.
Copper is the next best option to stainless for those who dislike stainless steel material. Copper is durable, wouldn’t tarnish. It is also rust resistant. The attractive feature of the copper material is that it develops a unique greenish brown film called patina as days pass by.
Another great benefit of using a copper sink is that it is self resistant to microbial properties. This means that the sink prevents the growing of viruses and other harmful bacteria.
Granite sinks are created by using an acrylic spray. As the sprays spreads and settles, it becomes scratch resistant and stain resistant. The acrylic coating also makes the sink heat resistant. The sink can withstand up to 540 degree Celsius.
Fireclay sinks are created by burning them in high temperatures. This makes the sink scratch and stain resistant. The fireclay is the new trend to give a traditional look to any place.
The main advantage of using a fireclay sink is that it won’t discolor even when they are exposed to chemicals. Another exciting feature of the fireclay sink is that it comes in different colors. This therefore fits any type of home decor and makes the kitchen colourful.
As porcelain is a heat resistant material, it withstands heat up to 1000 degree Fahrenheit. The porcelain sinks are finished with enamel coating to give an exotic look. This makes the kitchen look gorgeous and also colourful. As the enamel can be painted in any color depending on the kitchen, the options are diverse. There are also porcelain sinks coated with light weight steel.
Though there are many types of materials, sizes, here are some of the fast moving and good selling sinks in the market from different companies
Blanco Diamond Single Bowl Anthracite
- It has drain grooves that makes drainage simple
- It is easy to clean
- The sink is made of anthracite. Anthracite is a coal variety that is superior in quality. It has pure carbon.
- It has an elegant look as the coal can be blended easily to make interactive designs
Kraus KHU 102 – 33 Standard Double bowl kitchen sink
- The main attractive feature of the sink is its basket strainers that are present in both the bowls
- They are made of stainless steel
- The only drawback is that they have limited warranty.
- As they come with extra accessories and are light and easy to fix and remove, they are quite expensive as compared to other sinks. However, the money spent is worth the durability
- The sink comes with 2 different types of drainage holes that can be fitted on the 2 bowls individually.
- The other disadvantage of the sink is the sound insulation in the drain. It is not as good but is tolerable
Elkay Quartz Classic ELGU2522 single bowl sink
- The sink is made of quartz, which is one of the hardest mineral found. It consists of silica and is shiny in appearance. This gives the sink an elegant appearance.